Establishment of the Matej Bel University Library in Banská Bystrica is connected with the foundation of Higher College of Education in Banská Bystrica in 1954. In 1964, after the foundation of Faculty of Education, it became the central library of the faculty.
Since January 1, 1993 the library has served as Matej Bel University Library in Banská Bystrica. In the same year, the Library of Faculty of Economy of Services and Travel in Banská Bystrica was annexed to the Central Library of Faculty of Education. Since 1975 the Library of Faculty of Economy of Services and Travel served as a branch of Central Economic Library in Bratislava.
In 1996 library system was decentralized. Having regard to Academic Senate of the University of Matej Bel from March 13, 1996, Matej Bel University Library was abolished on April 1, 1996, and four new libraries were established which were directly controlled by the existing faculties.
Rector UMB decision on January 1, 2000, renewed the activity of the Matej Bel University Library as a library-information institution of the University.